Friday, November 21, 2008

Activists or Assholes?

Let me preface this with... I am not against gay marriage. I don't see any reason to ban it. It just doesn't make a difference in my family's life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to march on Salt Lake City, or protest the local Sister's of Mercy in outrage over California's Proposition 8, but if I had to vote on it, I'd say live and let live, do what makes you happy.

That said, this class action lawsuit in New Jersey, and now in California, is absolute HORSE SHEEEITE! They sued Eharmony for not having a gay section, and now Eharmony must of course pay out some cash, and set up a gay site. Whatever happened to common sense. Why can't a company single out the type of people they want to serve and serve them. This is like me suing the local Ford dealership because they won't sell me a Mazda, when there are 5 Mazda dealerships within driving range. Now I'll admit I have not researched it, but I'm willing to bet a paycheck or two that there are plenty of websites out there that cater to helping gay people find a relationship. This is obviously a case of an ambulance chasing dirtbag attorney looking to make a score, regardless of how it affects his or her client.

In the end, I am inclined to believe this hurts, rather than helps, the gay communities' cause. This is just the type of stuff that causes social conservatives to say "see, they gays won't stop until they have force fed their agenda into everyone's life". What is next, suing department stores for not selling gay enough clothing, or insisting on a gay quota of workers or student admissions?

Right is right and wrong is wrong, and this lawsuit is just plain wrong!

http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=features&sc3=&id=83607

2 comments:

nesunshine said...

I don't understand why Eharmony gave into it. I guess there is always going to be the crazy people who feel they need more or those who feel they can make a buck by abusing a situation. That's the way life will always be..unfortunately.

Suzanne said...

I kind of hate to even say this.. but this whole fight is starting to feel a lot less about change and equality and a lot more about $$$$$$.